Just nothing.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Richie and the Buttless Chaps

Last night Rich took my out ("I want you to take me out") to the Railway Club (I've never been -I'm not "with it") where I met some of his friends and listened to some excellent music. I never thought I could take a band called "The Buttless Chaps" seriously, but their music was sonorous, resonant. I've often felt at live shows, where the music is blasting and I am swaying, a pulse running through my solar plexus and exiting through my back. Jonathan says this has something to do with sympathy. Anyone who knows me well knows that I react to emotions in a very physical way. A bad break-up will leave me feeling nauseous and I can't eat for weeks (this is good for the waist-line but bad for the soul). Academic stressors will cause me to break out in cold sweats. If I am around someone who makes me nervous (I've been serving profs in the pub all week) my hands tremble and my legs feel spidery. With the music, I can feel it pulsing through the place where my lungs meet; I had to leave the stage because I felt myself welling up.
I enjoyed meeting Rich's friends. Parmeeta (sp?) is something special; wild, ebullient, beautiful, easy to talk to. Derrick (sp?) is, as I suspected, incredibly sweet. He has incredibly delicate features; he is very tall and very thin. His appearance makes me want to ruffle his hair. Derrick has been called "the next SFU President." I'd vote for him, I can't imagine Derrick doing anything in malice. But then again, I voted for Shawn H. Although, as my earlier blog post speculated, I always sensed that there was something disingenuous about him; Shawn is a true politician in this sense.
We ate at Denny's at 3am. I had a truly decadent meal: a strawberry milkshake followed by a slice of cheesecake with strawberry topping, and a side of breakfast sausages.
The theme of the week seems to be "The Peak" editor's pregnancy. Mike H. is 21 (I think), very boyish looking and has a mouth full of braces to match. Apparently we went to high school together (Seycove) and studied Russian Lit under Stouck this past summer. After my experience with Leaf and his 8 year old, and now hearing about Mike's impending baby, I've been thinking a lot about babies. I think I want one. Not now, obviously, but within the next 5 years? Maybe I'm just feeling lonely. I can't help but think that these kids with babies are somehow more fulfilled than I am. They seem to have it together. Freaky. I can barely take care of myself, let alone a mini-me (and it would be a mini-me, dammit!). I told Derrick that I've started feeling as my mother did when her biological clock started to tick, tick, tick, tick. I can see myself looking for a mate to have a baby with. Someone I consider healthy, good-looking, intelligent, and (this is going to sound weird) perhaps someone who looks like me. Malcolm and I were often mistaken for siblings, and I always assumed that ours would be a child with a big nose, Slavic cheekbones, who was tall and lanky, with blond hair and pale eyes.
When I was strictly anti-baby I planned to get my tubes tied as a pre-emptive strike against baby mania. I guess I'm too late.
Lastly, my student loan hasn't been cashed yet. I want to go shoe shopping! Last night, I bought a Mac. Artsy asshole!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home