hate to disappoint
Two weeks ago I had my hair cut. Needless to say, Shaun (my hairdresser) made me look and feel gorgeous. Indeed, I seemed to get more attention than usual (what "usual" attention?), including attention from one customer at work who I find particularly "interesting" (his arms are covered in sleeves -that is, his arms are so covered in tattoos that it looks as if he is wearing a "sleeved" shirt). This week, having caught a cold from the subject referred to in my previous post (I guess it wasn't a feeling of euphoria, but the transmission of a virus), I stumbled into work with my hair pointing every which way, my black framed glasses on, and tending to a red bulbous nose rubbed raw by kleenex tissues. I felt as if everyone was disappointed in my appearance, having come down from a flashy haircut and contact lenses to matted hair and nerd-glasses. This feeling that I had dissapointed others is one of the things that causes me anxiety when I lose weight or alter my appearance. This feeling is also one which causes me to behave as if I am embarrased when people compliment me. I feel as though a decline in my appearance is impending and unavoidable, and when it happens, people will see me for who I am, whatever that is.
I'm often quite critical of people who look as though they've put a lot of effort into their appearance. What are they trying to hide, and why are they trying to maintain such a facade. It's not as if good looks and a neat appearance reveal a person's quality, however anyone wants to defines human "quality". I want to believe that people understand that a beautiful person is not necessarily an interesting person, nor a kind person, nor an intelligent person. Still, it is hard to swallow such a maxim when people seem to treat you with more deference when you look good, and with less when you look like a troll. I'm no saint. Subconsciously and part consciously, I can't help but want to be near people who I find to be attractive and beautiful. When I become the attractive object, though, I only feel happy and confident for a second, and then I start to feel so artificial. It makes me want to scrub the makeup off my face.

5 Comments:
far from being a disappointment, you are an inspiration.
dude, those glasses are hot!
but i mean that in a completely fact based way, devoid of comfort or the warm-fuzzies.
yesterday at celebrities i made a girl who reminded me of you dance in the middle of the breakdancing circle. she was hesitant at first but then gave in. why did i just tell you this story? why do i do anything i do...
Re: Kfo,
I don't know why you're so random, dude. You are entertaining though. I enjoyed your weird picture story. All those sexual references... "what would Freud say about Kfo?"
Victoria's Reply: "I don't know, I'm not Freud and I'm not Kfo."
Are you taking any English classes this summer? I was thinking of taking English 380: Russian Literature.
no man, no courses for me. i would really like too, but instead i shall be backpacking europe and surfing hawaii! woot!
Post a Comment
<< Home