About friends and friendship (and courtship, and loveship, and hateship)
On Friendship: I've just browsed through Rob's blog and I am quite struck by the eloquence and fluidity of his language. Not that he isn't an excellent writer already, but academic writing (for any student) seems to be punctuated with hesitancy. It is something entirely different than the writing that comes from one's heart. The ideas in his blog (although he calls them rants - I think tha they are much more than this) reflect his maturity as an adult, and above all else, his goodness. I am truly lucky to have such a friend, even though we see each other fleetingly. We've known each for 8 years, and have evolved together, and apart, immensely. I was sitting in the Seycove Secondary library, reading or doing homework, or more likely, screwing around. I had a fiery red buzz-cut, and was wearing a blue, 70's-style polyester blouse. I don't remember if Rob just decided to sit with me, or if I gave him a look (I was a shameless flirt) or if we had been previously introduced through a mutual friend. This is the encounter that sticks out in my mind, though. Rob, was all in black (as was his custom then), looking much as he does now, although more boyish and but just as hairy. Round glasses and heavy stubble on a ninth grader. I dont remember what we talked about exactly. I do remember that there was an energy between us - one that exists to this day (we still run into to each other's arms and squeeze one another tight). When I look back on ninth grader Rob, and on tenth grader Viki, I have a hard time recognizing these strangers. We were jaded, but in an idealistic way. We felt ourselves to be invincible. And the biggest issue encroaching on our thinking space was those romantic desires for others that leave so many youths...bothered. In many ways, we are the same people. Still politically leftist, still a little bitter (more so for me and less so for him) about the way the world is. At the same time, I am grateful to Rob for hanging on to such a mercurial person for so long, and reminding me of where I came from (and perhaps, where I am going).
On Hateship: Well, this is hard to write about, especially since I haven't blogged in a few months. Cathrine and I haven't spoken since mid-September. I suppose I am, in part, to blame. I am a difficult person, and let my pain bleed out through my anger. Cathrine, on the on the otherr hand, has met ...a boy. Apparently it isn't only I who is being ignored (she hasn't returned any of my 3 phonecalls, nor any of my 3 emails). Her aunt's company is also being exchanged for that of Cat's new man-lover. I loathe to admit that I miss her, as I loathe to admit that I miss or need anyone, but I do. I miss her everyday, and have only her scrabble board as a hostage to keep me company. I miss her like I miss (occasionally, when inebriated) Sofi, and like I miss Scharlott M. At the same time, I feel I have accomplished a lot of things these last few months that I wouldn't be able to if she were around. In light of Malcolm's nine week sabatical, I feel it is best that Cathrine hasn't been around since she and Malcolm (On Courtship) don't get along. At all. I still wish she were here. I find myself telling the kind of jokes, which only she would find amusing, to people who look at me blanky or with disdain, as if I've said something wildly innaproriate.
On Loveship: I went to the theatre with Jonathan M. last week. Whenever I see him (this metaphysical twin of mine) I fall in love with him all over again (in the most platonic sense, of course).

3 Comments:
If I remember correctly, I was reading Francis Barret's the Magus and you came up to me and initiated the converstaion (yes, you were a shameless flirt). Don't really remember what it was about.
I do remember that there were trips to Future Shoe, questions about if I was gay or straight, and lots of firey, angsty political ranting.
I also remember the chemestry. Not sexual (at least for me) but intensely... personal. I just knew that you were a safe person. Someone who understood. I just got teary...
We were two kids fresh from the furnace of adolescence, full of sharp edges and recognized in each other that apartness from the norm that marks so many. Does that make sense?
You introduced me to Seylynn. You were instrumental in showing me a world that existed outside of an angry home and angry adults, one where the kids made the rules and were going to reshape this fucked up world into a place where we fit, were safe and where we could love... hard.
I am thankful everyday for your friendship. I would not be who or where I am today if not for you.
There have been rough patches (such as our little spat over anarchy, then your dating an anarchist... I will always chuckle over that. In a very loving way!) and bissful ones (just hanging out in Deep Cove, coming out for the first time). There have been crazy fun ones (mush).
Despite our many, many shifts and changes over the years, one thing has remained the same, I think. There is still that personalness. That sense of having been through hell and back together, of having supported and been supported by each other.
You are my friend, and I love you.
I need to let you know that more often.
Be still, my heart.
Good luck with all those papers. It seems like an overwhelming collection.
Post a Comment
<< Home