Just nothing.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jonathan, high-heeled boots, and "Capote"

Having Wednesdays off this term, I was fortunate enough to spend today with Jonathan. We went for lunch at Havana's [restaurant] on Commercial Drive, where I had the sweet potato french fries served with a side of chipotle mayonnaise. They were delicious, and I urge anyone yenning for french fries who is in the area to try them. Afterwards we walked around the Drive a bit, which was difficult considering I was wearing 4" heeled boots. Of course I had made myself up to look comely for Jonathan. I wore a black, double-breasted peacoat paired with black jeans. Often I would catch men eyeing me, and occasionally, when I met their gaze, they would smile. I may sound as if I am being conceited, but the truth is that I was shocked by all the on-lookers. It's strange that 4" worth of heeled boot can turn men's head. I told this to Malcolm and he, as is his way, brought me back to down Earth when he urged me to consider that it was my height that encouraged their attention. In such boots I am, after all, 6"2. So perhaps the men were gawking at the freakishness of a Giantess, and not at the good looks of a young woman. Myself I cannot tell either way, but I admit that I enjoyed the attention.
After walking around Jonathan and I decided to go see a movie, deciding upon Capote, staring Phillip Seymour Hoffman. It was the best performance by an actor that I've seen in years, and the movie was equally brilliant. His performance was tightly nuanced, leaving much room for audience interpretation. I grew up around Truman Capote's work, as my mother was a true-crime novel fanatic, and I often caught her reading In Cold Blood in bed. The movie, then, was of particular interest to me.
Other than today's wanderings, life has been pretty good. On Sunday, Malcolm and I celebrated our 5th anniversary (where we fought, of course). He gave me the most surprising gift. But I can't mention it here. The fall semester went well. I managed an A+, 2 A's, and an A- (I missed an A by 1 -fucking- %, damnit). In 3 weeks I am submitting my application for the Criminology Honours program, and am fast at work researching prostitution and Queer theory. Possibly the best news came from the SFU Criminology dept. graduate studies advisor, who after examining my C.V. (curriculum vitae, or summary of my grades), informed me that I was already eligible to apply to the M.A. program and that I would have an excellent chance of being accepted. This information doesn't deter me from writing my honours thesis, but it's nice to know that this time next year I could be a grad student instead of a dinky undergraduate.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I have had the aforementioned fries and can attest to their deliciousness.

He gave you Kinder Suprises didn't he...he didn't?!?

January 25, 2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger Victoria Kowalewski said...

Unfortunaly, no Kinder Surprises. It was I who gave him chocolates (a delicious box from Dutch Girl Chocolates).
Speaking of the Dutch Girl (located near Venables and Commercial), the Cleopatra chocolate is delicious...I swear, I am not a Commercial Drive glutton. I just like french fries and chocolates, dammit!

January 25, 2006 11:34 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

1) you're HOT damnit, that's why guys look and smile at you. Hot, I say. Slap Malcom for me...

2) How long have I been telling you that you're AMAZING? Ofcourse you are going to get into grad studies. You're smart, have research experience, a brilliant, original thesis and, need I say it, you know your shite.

So just accept it already, you're HOT, SMART, and AMAZING. Let's do drinks.

ps. no shame in loving the Drive, chocolate or fries. I love all three.

pps. YOU ROCK

January 28, 2006 1:44 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Naked people running and invisible dogs!!!

February 01, 2006 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home