Just nothing.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

English, english, gnarls my brain...

I've somehow managed to complete a third of the workload that is due on Wednesday evening. I am currently struggling to finish my research essay on the Old English poem, Judith. Straddling both the English and the Criminology disciplines, I am reminded (once again) of how hard it is to write an English essay. While papers written for criminology classes usually involve the reorganization of facts and arguments, English papers usually require a little something extra. That is, you have to think both critically and in the abstract, while formulating an original thesis. This is a perilous task, as you're writing for an expert in whatever topic you choose (that is to say your professor who usually possesses a PhD in English), and can expect to be refuted and undermined at every turn. Conversely, in criminology the arguments are usually presented to you in your readings beforehand. Writing a criminology paper usually involves picking an arugment already made explicit, and then using social facts, also already made available, to supplement your knowledge. Thus to those Lit majors who are written-off, to those of you who are told you will never get a decent job, take comfort in knowing that your skills as writers and, more importantly, as thinkers supercede the regurgitative traits of those who study in the social sciences. To Jonathan, Cathrine, Rich Sexton, Anna Goode, Ivan, Jen Verall, and all those who are brave English majors, Bravo, I say, Bravo.
Note: If the above sounds a bit fruity, it's because I haven't slept in the past 48 hours. God save me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I feel your pain.

I haven't slept properly in the last 6 weeks or so...

Even better, I am too tired to think right now, and am thus avoiding a paper due tuesday which I have yet to start.

I have taken to self-medicating with food and tv.

God save us all, we wretched lot. For but a moment our passions flared, burning so fierce we thought they should eclipse the sun. Now, it seems we are left with cinders and coals, quickly dwindling to ash.

I miss english. My writing has dimmed, dulled. Once upon a time, I wrote with precision, with passion and great joy.

Now, I write when required. I am denied my person in my work, relegated to the third person. I am denied creativity and artistic expression, instead being asked to present objective and concise reports.

I really miss the language, the play.

November 27, 2005 8:54 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

so, just pulled my first real university all nighter. Lots of fun... started and finished 15 pages in one sitting! Then got through a full day of school and taught an improptu martial arts class. I am going to bed now...

November 29, 2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home