Going to the Island
After recovering from an illness which left me bed-ridden (I won't say what the illness is, but those who know me well can guess its nature) for the last week of July and the first week of August, my life has become all about preparations. I have yet to turn in two essays for my Lit classes, which were due the weeks I was ill. My research proposal for the SFU Research Ethics Board (SFUREB, if you like) is due within the next month, and so I have been researching my topic and have contacted my research supervisor. Most importantly (ha ha) I have been 'managing' my body for this weekend, as Malcolm and I are going to Island to spend two days on his friend's boat, sunning, swimming, and drinking (not necessarily in that order). The prospect of wearing my pink and black polka dot bikini is daunting as my thighs, upper arms, and stomach, have not seen the sun in over a year (with the exception of last week when Jonathan M., Neil L., and I went to swim in Mosquito Creek in our underwear). Thus, I have been 'managing' my body so that it looks presentable on the weekend. I have exfoliated and moisturized my skin so that is smooth; I have given myself a pedicure so that feet look decent; I have been hitting the gym and eating more vegetables so that my belly isn't bloated; worst of all, I've gotten, as Malcolm would say, "my junk waxed" (crotch and underarms) so that I appear smooth and hairless.
I have also started to cook, as I am preparing to live independently. I hear that cooking from scratch is much cheaper than buying pre-packaged foods, which is what Malcolm and I tend to do. Last night I made my soon-to-be ex-spouse a Risotto with a side of steamed Artichokes in a dill, lemon-butter sauce. It was an excellent first attempt. Tonight I am making the lad Ratatouille with a side of Artichokes au Gratin (since I have some spears left over from last night).
Speaking of food, Jonathan M. and I went to an interesting restaurant the other night. It is located at Lonsdale Quay and is called 'Higashi West'. The cuisine is French-Japanese Fusion. I had the Soy Maple Salmon Skewers (a sizeable portion for $7) and the Duck Confit Spring Rolls in a Hoisin sauce ($5), both of which were delicious. Jonathan had the Agedashi Tofu (a very generous portion for $4) and the Beef and Green Pepper Stir Fry, which was on special for $9 and came with a $1 pint of Beer (an excellent dish, sharp and nuanced with ginger). Perhaps the best menu item was the alcohol; Tuesdays through Thursdays, one can buy an exotic cocktail for $2.50. Jonathan and I tried the Sakerita (Sake, Cointeau, and Lime), the Lychee (Soho, 7up, and Lemon), and the Green Tea Sake which was subtly hinted with the taste of Jasmine. Overall, the pricing was excellent, the food superb, and the service agreeable (which is important to me. Being a server myself, I hold other servers to a high standard). If anyone who is reading this is in the North Vancouver -Lower Lonsdale area, I strongly urge him or her to try what 'Higashi West' has to offer.
The final recent and important event that comes to mind was my 3-day long visit to Ferndale Minimum security prison in Abbotsford. I went to Ferndale as a volunteer for AVP: the anti-violence project, which is based on Restorative Justice principles of self-reflection, the healing circle, the building of social skills, and on constructive group exercises. Despite how the media portrays prison inmates, and despite how CSC (correctional services of Canada) portrays them, my experience with the men of Ferndale was eye opening, humbling, and life-affirming. I spent 3, 12-hour days with men who had been convicted of murder, assault, drug-dealing, and gang-related activities. The CSC warned me, and the other 'outside' (i.e-those of us who were coming to the prison as free citizens) volunteers -almost all of whom were 20-something, female and students -that the inmates were not to be trusted. I was told that they were con men, that they preyed on women, and that volunteer-inmate relationships occurred often enough to warrant the CSC making such stern warnings to us. As my friend and fellow volunteer Kiren S. bluntly put it, "the CSC thinks that the AVP volunteers are doing it to find husbands." Basically the feeling I got from the prison guards was they that were deeply suspicious of us. Under the scrutinizing gaze of the CSC, the volunteers made sure to wear baggy, non-revealing clothing (which was tough; all of my jeans and t-shirts fit tight), no makeup (which was easy because I never wear it anyway), and to never touch nor stand too near an inmate when outside of the AVP meeting room. This non-touch policy may seem practical to outsiders who may think of the volunteers as naive, inexperienced and fragile women dealing with muscled, tattooed con artists and violent offenders. From the AVP standpoint, such an approach counteracts the purpose of AVP workshops. I mean, a fraternal hug can go a long way when it comes to healing processes. Similarly, a pat on the back can relieve a lot of tension in someone who is crying or talking about something difficult.
I went into Ferndale somewhat suspicious and on my guard. I am after all, decently street smart. I have lived in Group homes as an adolescent and have worked seedy jobs and lived on my own when I was still in high school. Surprisingly, I never felt uncomfortable around these men. Not once did I catch one of them staring at my suggestively. Not once was I touched in an unwelcome manner nor did I ever feel that someone was infringing on my personal space. All hugs, handshakes and pats of the back were strictly platonic; it was like hugging my little brother. These men have done a lot of personal work on themselves; one couldn't have endured the weekend-long workshop and its activities without being willing to confront some inner demons and without acknowledging one's mistakes (this also applies to the volunteers). I am grateful for the people I met at Ferndale. I've been blessed with a unique perspective on the way the world works; one which strays from my usual privileged experiences and the experiences of my privileged friends.
So, it has been a frantic month. I'm hoping that by mid-September I will be more caught up with my work; more on my game. I am also looking forward to taking a break from English Lit and focusing solely on my thesis, as well as to applying to grad school in the winter. I am looking forward to cooler weather and to Fall fashion; tall brown leather boots, short, modish pea coats, long leather gloves, Argyle sweaters, skinny indigo-coloured jeans, dangling Scottish wool scarves, and of course, various wool, velvet, and herringbone blazers.

4 Comments:
Glad to hear about your work at Ferndale. Sounds very rewarding.
Thank you. Who is this?
Hey Viki,
the restaraunt sounds great. We should hit it up some time.
Ferndale sounds interesting, as per our conversation. I still am a little wary of people in prison (woohoo master-status labels, no?). I am glad you have a positive experience there.
Thanks for the comment on my exemplum. Coming from a Lit major, and someone as skilled as yourself, it means a lot. I really miss writing like that, and, alas, I no longer have the skill. Your mind needs to work in a certian way, I think. I wrote that exemplum in one sitting, about 2 hrs. Today, I couldn't do that if my life depended on it.
Some days I dream what it would have been like to be a lit major...
Ah well, c'est la vie, non?
Hey,
Rob wants updates on the island. And to go for coffee or some such.
Rob
Post a Comment
<< Home